Monday, November 21, 2011

Best stuffing EVER!

So my mom made this about 5 years ago because it won a best stuffing contest on the Today show...and ever since we have to have it every year! I think its the reason I like Thanksgiving so much now.....I love it so much I thought I'd share.....its an Italian style stuffing...so delish! I highly recommend trying it if you want to try something new this year. You won't regret it I promise
1 1/2 lbs of Italian sweet sausage
2tbsp olive oil
1 extra large yellow onion chopped
7 large celery ribs chopped
4 garlic cloves minced
6 oz pancetta diced
6 cups of day old (dried out) cubed french bread
3 cups of day old (dried out) cubed cornbread
1/2 cup butter cubed and cold
1tbsp ground thyme
1 tsp salt- or more depending on your taste
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cups pine nuts toasted
4-5 cups of chicken broth
2tbsp chopped fresh sage
Large parmesan shavings

Heat oil and saute pancetta, add onion and celery cook until translucent. Add garlic cook another 3 minutes.
Mix bread crumbs and half of the pine nuts together in a bowl, add cheese and sausage and dry seasonings.
Add sauteed vegis and pan drippings. slowly mix in broth ans mix thoroughly til moist but not soupy. Test for saltiness.

Place in large pan top with cubed butter and cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45 mins. Remove foil and bake another 15 mins until edges are crispy. Just before serving top with remaining pine nuts, Parmesan shavings and chopped sage.

No comments:

Post a Comment