Tuesday, April 19, 2011

SAHM

Stands for Stay-at-home-mom if you are wondering....


I use to think I would for SURE want to work while having kids but that was when I was younger and hadn't had much time in my career. 10 years of working since College I have had great success, bought my own home, car, etc...so now I am thinking I may be ready.....or is this article why I want to do it??

A 2007 Pew Research Center survey shows that more at-home moms today (48 percent) consider being home full time the ideal situation than they did 10 years ago (39 percent). Inversely, just 21 percent of working moms say working full time is ideal, down from 32 percent in 1997. "In my research, there seems to be a backlash among the millennial generation; in a sense, they're modeling themselves after their grandmothers, not their mothers," says Susan Shapiro Barash, a women's issues expert and author of You're Grounded Forever…But First, Let's Go Shopping: The Challenges Mothers Face With Their Daughters and Ten Timely Solutions. Many of these young women look at their baby boomer moms and question why they'd want to be them. Some of those moms struggled in their marriages and had a tough time balancing work and family, she says. That doesn't mean today's SAHM has abandoned her career aspirations or traded her BlackBerry for an ironing board, just that she's more concerned about living a balanced life than proving she's Superwoman

Interesting since I am from a family of divorce and have baby boomer parents isn't it????

3 comments:

  1. That's so crazy, I think it would be the opposite...but I guess we aren't out to prove as much as a point than the boomer women were... I stayed home with Ava full time and it was so worth it. With Miles I stayed home full time till he was 1 and a half, then started going into our office 3 mornings a week...it's ideal, but I'm lucky :) Aren't you in real estate?? That's a perfect situation for work and baby! Love you Morgs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So deep Morgs! Everyone has an opinion on the matter it seems. I just didnt want to leave my babies! Hopefully you find balance in whatever you decide to do. =) xo - sus

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not trade being home with my babies for one minute.. 10 years of heaven seeing every moment.. Now this is not for everyone and I will say I have my days, and now that they are all back at school I still love being here when they get home, having dinner made before games, helping w/ homeowrk and knowing I can spend weekends with them not worrying about errands cause I got them done during the week. Moms that work and still do it all are amazing but I could never do it.. Unless of course I had no choice and then that is another story.. Good luck with your choice and know it about "your" family and that is all that matters!

    ReplyDelete