Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What NOT to say to a pregnant lady.....

It amazes me what comes out of people mouth's about my pregnant belly. Some of the sweetest things; yes for sure and some of the rudest things as well..... Let's go over what NOT to say to a pregnant lady, these are all things I have heard in the past few weeks:

1. Are you sure its not twins? (from a co-worker)
2. Wow, big baby (from the Asian pedicurist at the nail salon)
3. Well you are going to have a healthy baby (Grocery check out lady)
4. I can't believe the size of you! (aunt)
5. You look Ready!(aunt)
6. I can't believe you are going to get any bigger either!

People- we pregos are moody and sensitive... think before you speak! This is not the time for insults. The only appropriate thing to say to a pregnant lady is "you look beautiful and/or you are glowing" As if I don't know I am huge I don't need to hear it from anyone else. There is my little rant for the day.

With all this being said I saw the Dr. this week and baby is still measuring big- 98th percentile, but he and I are healthy so all is good! 7 weeks til D-day, cannot wait!

Friends- if you had people say something that was offensive to you please share, it will make me feel better :-)

5 comments:

  1. You are beautiful Morgan!! AFTER I had Hailey, the lady who checks the babies hearing asked if I was sure there wasn't another baby in my tummy? Really?? People can be sooo mean. Hope you are feeling great!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a nail place once when Hayden was 2.5 and had a lady ask me when I was due?! I have never shared that with anyone. I wanted to die! No, I'm fat... is what I wanted to say! You are beautiful and I loved your tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was asked when Henry was 5 weeks old when I was having my baby! Seriously.... Or even better someone had the nerve to say to me after having 3 miscarriages and prego with Henry, "Hope this one sticks!" I was speechless and that takes a lot. But my favorite is the little Indian lady next to me on the airplane who asked to touch my belly (20ish weeks prego with Henry) and left it there for like 15 minutes! Weird. I again was speechless and couldnt figure out how to tell her to take her damn hand off me. Good thing we were landing. People are weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh!! The nerve of some people. I had a particularly bad day on April 23, 2010 (I have the email to prove it) and this is what I wrote to some friends:

    I’m feeling sorry for myself & thought maybe you guys could cheer me up.

    The new IT guy was in the kitchen when I was getting a glass of water, and said to me, “You must be getting close to your due date, huh?”
    I told him, “Yeah, it’s coming up. I’m due in June.” He looked at me, looked at my belly, then said, “Wow. I would’ve guessed you were due TOMORROW you’re so huge!!!”

    Seriously?!?!

    I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Why do people feel like they have permission to make comments like that? He doesn’t even know my name!!! Yes, I am aware that I’m big, I’m the one carrying around all this extra weight you IDIOT. You didn’t need to REMIND ME OF IT.

    I’m at that stage in my pregnancy when I don’t feel good about myself no matter what I’m wearing — I just feel big and round and ready to be DONE — so the ignorant comments sting that much more.

    I guess the pregnancy hormones are raging today.

    *** I hope that made you feel better, Morgan! I think you look gorgeous!!! ***

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw this post and I can totally relate! I wrote something similar when I was pregnant with Maddie on my blog and copied the link so you can read it (have totally slacked on blogging, but someday I'll start again!) I was really hormonal and nuts when I wrote it but you might have a laugh! And you were a beautiful pregnant mama!

    http://snarffles.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/open-mouth-insert-fat-stanky-foot/

    ReplyDelete