Saturday, January 22, 2011

R.I.P Grandma Shirley

My grandma Shirley Caswell Rude passed away Thursday January 20th.

Here is a picture of her at my wedding in October with me and my cousin Anton
As you can tell she was a very beautiful lady, all the way until the end. Even when she was sick and dying she still put her face make-up on and had her hair curled. Actually every Friday she had her hair done and the place she lived. She lived a long life and survived many things. She was married twice and both husbands passed away, she gave birth to 8 kids, while she was single she raised 6 kids on her own in the 60's. She also lost a few of her children and in fact held her youngest daughters hand while she was passing and didn't leave her side- this was just 2 years ago. She was a nurse and she had a passion for her work that most people just don't have. She was actually a labor and delivery nurse for over 30 years and she actually delivered me!

She taught me so many things, I was lucky enough to always have her around growing up we spent so much time with her and we both always lived in Tigard. She came to all my basketball games, soccer games and even came to my high school and college graduation. Her door was always open and I could just stop in and she'd always have goodies for me and we'd sit down and play a game of cribbage. She got me the best gifts too, she would always get me something that I didn't even know I wanted, she was so good at that!
We just had a very special bond, one that will always be with me.

2 things Gram taught me that I will always remember:
1. Never leave the house with out make-up! In fact she would tell you "that is why my skin is so soft and beautiful because I always have make-up on to protect it!"
To this day I rarely leave the house without it, thank you Gram!

2. The importance of giving back. Gram made baby blankets, and not just a few, I bet she has made over 1,000 and she would take them to work with her and give them to families who didn't have much and were having a baby. In fact at St. Vincents hospital here in Portland where she worked she started to make Layette's. She honestly spent any extra money she had at goodwill and thrift shops buying baby clothes, then she'd bring them home and wash them and fill a shopping bag for a boy or girl and put one of the blankets she made in there too. Everyone at the hospital knew about her and what she was doing and so many people started donating money and baby clothes to her so she could continue this on for years, even after her retirement. I can't even imagine how many kids out there have their blankey from being a baby and my Gram made it! With this being said I have at least 10 of these amazing blankets I plan on using my my children! I can't wait, because I'll think of her every time I see them!

I have to say my mom did an amazing job caring for my Gram. When my mom and Eric moved to California 3 years ago she took Gram with them to live in the guest house there. After a year it was clear she needed more care so she moved into an assisted living place but my mom would still take her to all her doctors appointments and was in charge of her care all the way to the end. Mom was so good about bringing her a starbucks, taking her shopping, and she had her with her on every Holiday and brought her to Portland for my wedding and Christmas's. I can honestly say My Mom AMAZED me everyday with her self-less-ness and care she gave my Gram with such a tender and full heart. What a role model you have been for me Mom, you are amazing and like Gram said she will be your guardian Angel Forever!

Lastly, Gram has quite a welcome Party in Heaven! Her parents, 2 children, and 2 Husbands, I know she is loving it! Say Hi to my Dad for me to Gram, we miss you down Here!

3 comments:

  1. What a great post Mo, we are sorry for your loss...again. We feel lucky to have a few of those special blankets. I waited years for mine :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan,

    Thank you so much for writing and sharing this lovely tribute to Shirley and the many ways she blessed others throughout her life. I mourn with you in her passing and celebrate with you her welcome in Heaven.

    Some of what you wrote I knew, but much of it was about things that no-one would know unless told. It is indeed that selfless giving that actually enriches a life and makes it full and prosperous in ways not measured by earthly treasure.

    I know she was special from the times we spent together, but more especially in the legacy she left us -- wonderful children she raised in her son Tim (my sister Paula's husband) and in her daughter and your mom, Jeanne.

    I share in your loss and celebrate with you in her welcome to her heavenly home. May the Lord's peace be with you and encompass you and keep you in Him now and always.

    Blessings,
    Sandra Crosnoe
    Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only met your grandma once when I was living out in Oregon -- we sat and chatted at your candle party, and she made SUCH an impression on me! We talked about how I knew Seldon Caswell when I was a newspaper reporter and he was the city attorney for good old N. St. Paul, MN and she was just so warm and welcoming to me -- the outsider in the room -- that I instantly felt more comfortable. (Morgan, you have this same quality of making people feel right at home!!) I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. She sounds like an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete